Sunday, May 3, 2009

May 34rd, 2009- The Choice (Continued)

so a few days back
a regular customer comes into my work,
and we get on the discussion of college
and what I'm going to do now that i've graduated.

I tell him my plan.
my strategy of getting a real degree in graphic design
then after I have something 'professional' under my belt
going off to my dream art school
to study what I really love: photography.

he stood there for a moment, just staring at me sort of puzzled,
then said to me,
"but, why don't you do what you really want to do in the first place??"

this caught me a little off-guard.
everyone else who i have told my safe plan to life to has seemed to approve
and he was the first person to ever challange my safe philosophy.
and it really made me challange my thinking.
am I just doing this because this is what everyone else thinks i should do?
or am i doing this because I want to or feel led to?
or because I'm scared to take that leap?

safe, careful, conservative vs. the dreamer?
or is it not just a dream, but really what i'm destined to do?
is doing my backup career training just a waste of time?
is it just postponing me from reaching my potential?
is it really me building myself a road block?
what if I lose my dream over the course of getting my graphics degree?
what if that starves my vision of me doing something else?

and I thought I would be less confused and less stressed after finishing high school...

No comments: